Each Monday I will be posting my top 40 songs of the week, and I have been composing top 40 charts of my own to track songs I've liked on and off since 2011 (Hence the chart runs, I've been doing this a while), posting them elsewhere. From now on I'll post them here each week, along with assorted commentary and a link to a playlist of the songs in my chart in reverse order so you can listen from 40-1.
1. Duke Dumont ft. Jax Jones - I Got U [12-8-3-1-1]
2. Coldplay - Magic [12-5-4-2]
3. Martin Garrix & Jay Hardway - Wizard [23-27-25-10-6-3]
4. Gorgon City ft. MNEK - Ready For Your Love [1-1-1-1-1-2-4]
5. Katy B - Crying For No Reason [12-3-2-2-3-5]
6. Calvin Harris - Summer [20-6]
7. Avicii - Addicted to You [9-7-7]
8. Little Mix - Word Up! [12-9-8]
9. Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne - Rather Be [2-1-2-3-4-3-4-5-9]
10. Tove Lo ft. Hippie Sabotage - Stay High (Habits Remix)
11. Chris Malinchak - If U Got It [2-2-4-7-11-11]
12. The Pretty Reckless - Heaven Knows
13. James Arthur - Get Down [16-13]
14. Lady Gaga - G.U.Y.
15. Vance Joy - Riptide [19-9-6-6-8-15]
16. Karmin - Drifter
17. Ellie Goulding - Goodness Gracious [10-11-13-17]
18. Glee Cast - Toxic (Season 5)
19. Foxes - Let Go For Tonight [7-13-14-19]
20. Iggy Azalea ft. Charli XCX - Fancy
21. The Chainsmokers - #SELFIE [10-21]
22. Beyonce ft. Jay-Z - Drunk In Love [18-9-4-5-4-5-5-8-12-22]
23. John Legend - All Of Me [16-15-23]
24. Disclosure ft. Sasha Keable - Voices [2-4-8-11-13-15-17-24]
25. Kylie Minogue - Into The Blue [27-25]
26. David Guetta ft. Skylar Grey - Shot Me Down [32-27-23-24-26]
27. Shakira ft. Rihanna - Can't Remember to Forget You [17-15-10-11-14-18-27]
28. Matrix & Futurebound ft. Max Marshall - Control [18-12-6-6-7-16-17-19-28]
29. Sub Focus - Turn Back Time [24-22-19-6-7-5-6-9-18-21-29]
30. John Newman - Losing Sleep [8-7-11-11-19-23-30-28-30]
31. Paloma Faith - Can't Rely On You [30-22-22-31]
32. Imagine Dragons - Demons [19-21-23-32]
33. DVBBS & Borgeous ft. Tinie Tempah - Tsunami (Jump) [20-22-26-25-33]
34. Katy Perry ft. Juicy J - Dark Horse [4-2-3-5-7-10-9-10-12-13-14-15-17-19-23-27-29-24-28-26-28-29-34]
35. A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera - Say Something [17-20-26-35]
36. Neon Jungle - Braveheart [13-9-10-15-18-25-30-36]
37. Arches - There's a Place [35-37]
38. Lea Michele - Cannonball [10-8-7-5-10-14-22-26-29-31-36-38]
39. Pixie Lott - Nasty [15-18-25-33-36-37-39]
40. all about she - Higher (Free) [9-12-14-15-20-24-21-21-29-34-37-40-40]
This week's chart sees the number 1 spot being filled by the summery I Got U by Duke Dumont ft. Jax Jones, making it the second longest run for a #1 in my chart in 2014 so far (With 5 weeks for Ready For Your Love by Gorgon City ft. MNEK). The runner-up is a climber from Coldplay with Magic, the first single released from their newest album Ghost Stories.
The highest new entry comes courtesy of Tove Lo ft. Hippie Sabotage with the brilliant Stay High (Habits Remix) at #10. The song is a remixed version of Tove Lo's Habits, and for me this version just edges it. This came to my attention after it gave Tove Lo her very first official UK Top 75 entry - charting at #59 this week.
Next in at #12 was The Pretty Reckless with Heaven Knows. The band is fronted by Taylor Momsen and originally came to my attention in 2010 with their chart debut Make Me Wanna Die - giving them a top 20 hit at #16. They soon followed this with Miss Nothing later on in the year at #39. Like Stay High, Heaven Knows also came to my attention this week by checking out new entries within the top 100 over the past couple of weeks, as it is currently a climber up to #61 this week. This is a true return to form for the band, with an instantly memorable chorus, much like Make Me Wanna Die.
The next new entry at #14 comes courtesy of Lady Gaga with G.U.Y. It is the third single to be taken off her latest studio album ARTPOP, and has made such a high debut thanks to the premiere of the music video (which I recently reviewed here: http://jadewilliamsmusic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/lady-gaga-guy-music-video-review.html). Originally not one of my favourites on ARTPOP (The songs so far to chart in my personal chart belong to Applause, Do What U Want, Venus, MANiCURE, Swine, Mary Jane Holland & Aura), this finally hit me with a few watches of the video. The production is pretty fantastic considering I wasn't a fan of some of the production on ARTPOP (Swine, I'm looking at the breakdown of you) and the chorus is infectious.
At #16, the next new entry comes from Karmin with Drifter, an album track taken from upcoming album Pulses. This track came to my attention after Karmin recently had a live stream to debut tracks from their upcoming album, and being a huge fan already of their material and covers, I had to check it out. Out of everything, Drifter stood out the most to me, with a killer catchy chorus much like Acapella, they fuse pop and rap perfectly every time. Karmin rose to fame after posting covers and originals on their YouTube channel - soon making their chart debut in 2012 with Brokenhearted at #6.
New at #18 sees the Glee Cast with Toxic. This cover was recently featured in their special 100th episode, with songs predominately ones that they had covered before to celebrate the landmark. The New Directions had previously covered it in Season 2 Spears tribute episode Britney/Brittany, but this Season 5 version features the vocal talents of characters Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron), Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera) and Brittany Pierce (Heather Morris). This was the first appearance of Agron and Morris this season, with the latter returning after giving birth last year. The song itself is a huge step up for me from their Season 2 version as I much prefer the sultry arrangement, and their harmonies work SO well together for me.
The final new entry comes courtesy of Iggy Azalea ft. Charli XCX with Fancy. Azalea is rather hit-and-miss with me, but Fancy is definitely a high for me. Initially, I didn't quite know what to think of it, but it has very much grown on me now. The production first of all is fantastic and carries the song along so well. Iggy Azalea recently scored her first top 10 hit officially with Change Your Life ft. T.I. debuting at #10, with Charli XCX also making her chart debut last summer as a featured artist on Icona Pop's #1 hit I Love It. Hopefully this'll be a smash for both of them.
Playlist of my top 40 this week in reverse order: